This was the first Fun A Day event in Exeter and we were overwhelmed by the community response! A great time was had by all and we're super excited for next year.
Show write-up by Ivan Macquisten: here
A bit of an overview:
Our wonderful participants:
What visitors said:
- A wonderful exhibition bringing everyday art and community members together - we loved it all!
Thank you for a colourful weekend experience.
- Brilliant idea! Such a mix of creative outcomes ..... well done all.
- Fabulous exhibition and space.
- So lovely to see ‘normal’ people’s work who might not usually have the confidence to exhibit what they do.
- I absolutely love all of this! Everyone’s interests are so diverse and it’s kind of beautiful to see things that people love? That they’ve poured that love and passion into making something and then shared that thing for everyone to see - which in itself is so brave. I’ve seen and heard a lot of “This isn’t great”, “It’s not my best work”, “Most aren’t very good” and I have 2 things to say to that:
1. It’s so true that we’re our own worst critics
2. IN THE NICEST WAY POSSIBLE SHUT UP RIGHT NOW ALL OF YOUR WORK IS AMAZING!!!!
Especially if it got you out of a Covid induced art/creativity block.
- I have seen great art, made some art and learned some cool new things about horses and crown jewels and wrapping paper waste - what more could you ask for?
- Thank you all the artists and the people who organised it. It’s so cool!
- Great exhibition, enjoyed looking at different ways people expressed themselves.
- Really great idea and amazing to see such a diverse exhibition.
- So many different ideas and interpretations, people are so creative & it inspired us to have a go next year. The penguins were fantastic!
- Thank you, such an interesting project and great art, love the diversity.
- A lovely hour to delve into people’s mind through art.
- Absolutely amazing, legends, great event.
- What and incredible exhibition. SO FANTASTIC. The extraordinary diversity here is refreshing. To see 6 year olds proudly talking about their art and hearing others too modestly sharing has been a great pleasure. THANK YOU organisers.
- This exhibition is a true celebration of the creativity of humanity. So inspired - especially by the ways everyone has found creativity in such different places.
- Really amazing results Ali and Stephen et al. Best exhibition I’ve been to. CREATIVITY, of course inspiring and with such wide range of shows. I love it - especially the really young.
- I loved the seen
- Izzy’s North Pole scene
- Such a diverse and talented group
What participants said:
We asked the participants what they gained from the experience, that maybe they weren’t expecting.
- Thank you for organising this event, we really enjoyed taking part and seeing everyone’s fabulous ideas. We’d definitely do it again.
- Emotional attachment to objects can be hard! But enjoyed the experience.
- Inspiration! Excited to do it next year.
- Really enjoyed doing this thank you
- Dog pictures. I love piglet.
- What a great project. This has inspired me to take many more photos! Thank you!
- It was really great and totally unexpected - a lovely and enriching burst of creativity
- That I managed to do something each day on the day. My work evolved. I learnt new techniques.
- Lots of ideas for future work! And how good a square or rectangle of 28 smaller squares or rectangles can look if mounted neatly with the right gaps between etc. An incredible variety, styles and media!!!
- The kids had a lot of pride in displaying their hard work, as did I. I didn’t expect the kids to get into it as much as they did. Great stuff!
- So much! Remembering things I had forgotten about my craft and myself. Rekindling lost confidence. Joy. Motivation.
- It was so lovely to see it grow and not know the final reveal!!
- Finding cool little things around Exeter that I wouldn’t have found without looking like street art.
- Such a great idea to bring communities together, with their interests and abilities to cope with winter.
- Great fun to stop and be creative with my daughter.
- Really gave me a focus for each day..... + I’m already thinking of next year.
- Take risks. Feel exposed. Enjoy not paying attention to my self critisism.
- Committing myself to this without many expectations made space for a huge journey of discovery. I feel more a ‘artist’ than ever and more comfortable with who that is and what it means.
- Making time every day to do something creative! And the exhibition today is really motivating.
- I really found cooking the most therapeutic part of my day.
- I really hope to do it next year.
- It gave me a creative focus that had somewhat disappeared. Hope springs forward!
Some of the amazing projects:
(click on thumbnails for higher resolution pictures)
"Thank you to everyone who participated. So much effort, inspiration and talent!! See you all next year."
- Ali and Stephen